Tuesday 5 August 2014

Makeup chores #2: Brush cleaning

Washing your brushes can be a pain in the rear - especially if they're the sort of ones that need a whole day to dry (i.e. kabuki brushes).  As I don't have a massive brush collection, I've got to wait for a no-makeup day to swing around so that I can do a full brush clean...

I'll usually just rinse the brushes out under warm running water, after swirling in a little gentle hand soap/shampoo.  Then I'll lay them all out to dry at an angle - it's imperative not to let the water get down the brush ferrule (the metal bit that pinches the bristles) as it will over time break down the glue and you'll end up with shedding.  Whilst washing aswell, I'll try to only let the bristles themselves get wet and will point the brush downwards.

You can roll up a towel like I've done here, meaning
 there's a nice little slope for the brushes to sit on.
Ta da!


When there simply isn't enough time to let the brushes dry, I'll use a bit of the No.7 brush cleanser squirted onto some kitchen towel.  Swirl the brush around it it, and see the colour come away like magic!  Obviously this doesn't substitute a thorough clean, but I've found that even doing this helps with controlling bacterial blemishes.  It's also great if you're low on brushes and want to change eyeshadow colour, for example.



Here it is.  I'd also recommend using strong kitchen towel sheets such as 'Plenty'.
Means the paper doesn't break down and get all over the place.

The brush cleanser is available from Boots for £8, but you can use the £3 off makeup coupons and get it for a fiver.  No.7 makeup and accessories are also buy one get one half price!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment