Friday 1 August 2014

A little trip to Cardiff...

This summer, I made a list of places I wanted to see and things I wanted to do.  Once I've headed off to uni the time will fly by, and before I know it three years will have passed.  Therefore, on impulse Mam and I booked a trip down to Cardiff!  We spent several days there, and went to most of the tourist spots.  I've also loved Doctor Who for years, so was really excited to see some of the filming locations for the show and to visit the exhibition down in the Bay.

Since I took a helluva lot of photos, I thought I'd split the trip up into a couple of posts.  (Just so I can chat a little about each one and not give readers information overload!)

We wandered around for a while, and ended up at Cardiff Castle.
The sky looks quite dark here, but I promise it was really hot and sunny!

Here's Roald Dahl Plass (home of the Torchwood Hub), with a nice view of the Millenium Centre.
I (being daft) thought that this was the Millenium Stadium - oops!


There was a really cute funfair in the centre of the plass, and a mini beach too!
(Oh, to be little again *sighs*)

This is the Pierhead building.  We popped in to shelter from the heat, and there was a really interesting film rolling about the history of the docks.  The building itself is also a work of art.  It's in the Gothic Revivalist style - like the Houses of Parliament and Natural History Museum in London.
Right next door to it is the Sennedd, which has a quiet little coffee shop upstairs (if you're in need of some refreshment!)


We also went to the National Museum of Wales, which is close to the Uni.
There's a really great exhibition on the 'Evolution of Wales' - if you're
 interested in geology or natural history I'd definitely recommend checking that out!
(They also used this as the filming location for 'Vincent and the Doctor'.)

We also visited St Fagan's - which is another part of the National Museum (about 25 minutes out of town).  It's made up of many many examples of Welsh buildings throughout the ages, which have been moved to the grounds of a castle.  They filmed 'Human Nature' and 'The Family of Blood' here too.  My Mam absolutely loved looking around all the houses, and there was fresh bread available from the bakery at lunch time!  A great day out :) 

Part 2 soon to come...

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment