Friday 10 October 2014

A dupe for Mac's Painterly...?

When you're prepping and priming your eyes, you want a base that really is going to stick around.  Mac Paint Pots are great for getting your powder shadow to last much longer and appear more vibrant - but as my lids are especially oily I've got to use a primer underneath to reduce creasing.  I find that a thin layer of Mac's Painterly is fantastic for disguising redness - and that almost tacky texture really gives your shadow something to stick to.

Painterly is the one and only Mac paint pot that I own though - and in truth I much prefer the texture of the Mayeblline Colour Tattoos to use as a shadow alone (am currently in love with the taupe coloured one.)  But when the other day I was too lazy to dig around for it in my drawer I grabbed my Rimmel Scandaleyes Nude Liner and scribbled it all over the lid instead.  When blended out, it gave pretty much the same effect as Painterly and hung around all day!  I even think that the shade of nude is slightly better for my pale skin than Painterly, as it's a bit more yellow toned so cancels out any purpley hues and for £3.99 where can you go wrong?!

L-R: Mac Pro Longwear Paint Pot in 'Painterly', Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Liner in 'Nude'
You can see the difference much more clearly here, where they're heavily swatched.

I did take a couple of pictures to show them on the lids, but they were practically indistinguishable - if I had to point out one difference though it would be that Painterly is a little more opaque than the Rimmel liner.  Having cream shadow in a pencil form also is much more hygienic and means it doesn't dry out quickly - there is going to be product wastage when you sharpen it but considering it's so cheap in comparison that doesn't really matter.  Plus, you can use the Rimmel Liner to brighten up your waterline on those days where you wake up and see a puffy, red eyed reflection in the mirror!

Mac Paint Pots are £15.50 at Debenhams.
Rimmel Scandaleyes Liners are £3.99 at Boots.

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment