Friday 30 January 2015

5 Lessons learned...



A rather different sort of post today - skimming over the superfluous, yet somewhat useful things I've learned over the past term of University.  Most of this seems blindingly obvious...but in all honesty I didn't think any of the scenarios mentioned below would happen!


No. 1

Bring a stepstool.
I clock in at about average height (5'6), so thought I'd be alright on the reaching-things-front, but spent the first few weeks of term balancing precariously on my wheelie chair to get up to my top shelf.  What with the skincare/ makeup/stationary/laptop/miscellaneous-food-rubbish situation going on on your desk - you're gonna need that space!  Needless to say, once my folks back home witnessed the rather wobbly process whilst on Skype - a stool of some form was added to the list.  I now have a super cute, black and white dotty one from Dunelm that does the job nicely.


No. 2

Weather appropriate clothing.
Pester anyone you know who lives in the area you'll be living about how cold it is - and trust their advice.  Up North?  Bring more than one wool jumper...and a bobble hat.  Although, the distinct lack of winter clothing in my cupboard has allowed me to go a little nuts with my student loan *proud owner of 4 oversized scarves right here*
Which leads me onto the next one...


No. 3

Mum isn't watching.
Okay, my bank statements are going home...but without the judgemental eyes of anyone (other than the college porter) it's incredibly easy to go overboard with your Asos orders.  Trust me, it seems like a good idea to get 5 pairs of shoes at a time so you can pick the ones that are just right - but carting them back to the centre of campus, or god-forbid, town is an utter pain in the backside.  Instead, either save the money for when you're home or get your shopping sent to store so you can try it all on and dump what isn't right, straight away!  (Or be good and save the cash for next year's books...maybe)


No. 4

Food on campus is expensive.
Not takeaways - actual fresh food.  Despite the fact that you can get an awesome sandwich for a few quid at lunch, when you're actually craving something a bit less carb-heavy and healthier, you're a bit stuffed.  Small bottle of Copella = £4 *squeaks*  Get familiar with Asda deliveries!
Although the snack-y stuff isn't so extortionate, try to bring a decent stash of your favourites along so you aren't carting them back from the shops on a bi-weekly basis.  Nevermind the spare kitchen towels - fill the boot with Cream Crackers I say!


No. 5

Know when something's up.
On a slightly more sobering note - I spent the last few weeks of term in a pretty bad state.  Physically, I was alright.  Mentally, I was drained.  Turns out it was Vitamin B deficiency, so I wasn't absorbing nutrients properly (hence the tiredness etc)...now I have a huge pot of supplements to take.  Yucky taste and smell, but they really have made the world of difference.  Take notice of your body - remember, you've still got years left to party!


xxx

*the list
Parents coming up for a visit?
These are the items that will fill their car boot (think: stuff you had back home you never knew you couldn't function adequately without!)

No comments:

Post a Comment